Tuesday 19 July 2011

Living on earth signifies mastering the art of living. Never, even from the very beginning the man complies with mere survival. He always strives for the beautiful, unreachable, difficult. He always will. I look back. That’s what I do. I look back. In an attempt to understand, to grasp what and who makes me what I am, the European. It is twenty first century. Circa four and half thousand years ago the Minoans build their first palaces in Crete. They start our history, then it just follows. I see the Aegean, the temptation to sail it. So be it, the art of sailing is mastered. I see the skies and the utmost desire to fly it. The Greeks fantasise about flying.  It will take a little longer. In 1250 the Englishman, one of the greatest philosophers of modern times, Roger Bacon speculates on the possibilities of flight. He writes: “ Such a machine must be a hollow globe of copper or other suitable metal, wrought extremely thin in order to have it as light as possible. It must then be filled with aetherial air or liquid fire and launched from some elevated point into the atmosphere, when it will float like a vessel on water”. It is still very early.
In 1670 Francesco de Lana fears the Creator, his idea will have to wait another hundred years before the brothers Montgolfier devise the first balloon inflated with hot air from the furnace underneath to ascend the earth in 1783.
David does not stand behind. As a true aviator he also constructs his own aeroplane. It is a fragile thing, that much I can say. Its destiny though is not to fly to Australia, and this destiny is shared by few others aircrafts during all the long years of preparation for this journey.

A big dream. This is how it appears to me. But for me it is different. I have no big dreams. I would say my dreams are almost small. I dream of the haven of stillness, my own house of the future bathed in autumn light. The swing of consolatory jazz, tangy kisses tasting unspoken words of the day, red wine and vibrant debates of the past and the present. On the paper I can be an adventurer – the nature of my choice is study though, moreover learning of the past and that reflects exactly who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment